Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Goodbye Buff

She left the world today after 21 loooong years. So it really was a Merry Christmas for her. In cat years she had to have been about 120 years or something. She had been dying for quite a while so it really was for the best, but I can't help feeling a little touch of sadness since she had been in our family for so long. In the last 21 years our family has changed so much; divorce, marriage, births, etc. But she was always there, somewhere.
Honestly, I wasn't her biggest fan.
When I was a kid it drove me nuts when she would bat at my feet while I was trying to fall asleep. Or try to eat my food if I left it on the table unattended for a few minutes. But at the same time it was kinda cute when she would hide under my ex-boyfriend's broken down car on rainy days when she lived with me for a time after I had graduated from high school. You would look under the car and just see the light reflecting off of her eyes while she was staring back at you. She would also tolerate my young son poking at her and petting her years later.

All of the family was there and helped to dig her final resting spot in my Mom's front lawn. They already had the box ready, so they wrapped her in a little blanket and placed her little skinny body on a pillow and sealed the box shut. That was it.
I like to think she lived a very full and eventful life and that she is happy now.
Goodbye Buff.

No comments: