Wednesday, August 23, 2006

My dream house...

My childhood home. The Calvert house. I never knew how good I had it. My parents had this house built in 1984 when i was going in to 2nd grade. Everything was custom. The fireplace mantel was made from a tree trunk that had been brought from somewhere up north. The master bathtub was marble. My mother picked out every color and knob and cabinet. It wasn't enourmous but a comfy size. 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. Prime lot on a corner in a nice neighborhood of newer houses near an elementary school. Lovely pool and an extra lot for gardening and a treehouse for the kids. My friends always wanted to stay over and at the time I took the house for granted. Now I know better.
My parents had a nasty divorce when I was 18 and my mom moved out. A couple years later my dad moved out and my mom moved back, but unbeknownst to her he had taken out a second mortgage and stopped making the payments so the lovely house was foreclosed upon. It was difficult for the family to lose the house. Lose all of those memories, all of those years of happiness before things went bad. There was even a wall in the laundry room that had all of our height measuements on it from when we were very young and from when Sean was just a baby.
I wanted to keep that wall. Even all of our friends were measured on that wall.

I haven't lived in that house in 11 years but every dream I have every night that takes place in any house...it takes place in THAT house. My childhood home. The Calvert house that I will always love. The house that held all those wonderful years of happy memories.

The new owners have fixed it up very nicely and it's still as beautiful as always. Sometimes I drive past it. My sister and brother have told me that , on occasion, they do too. One day if david and I ever win big in the lottery we are going to that house and offer the owners anything they want so we can have that house back in my family.

I can always dream, can't I? After all, it is the house of my dreams.

No comments: