Saturday, April 11, 2009

I am ashamed of my evil side.

I told the scheduler at work that I would pick up an extra shift this weekend- so she scheduled me for today 7-3. I prepared myself for an extra day all week, I was even looking forward to my next paycheck with my overtime on it. Then yesterday afternoon, immediately after work, she called and told me,"By the way, I meant to get with you all day today to tell you that I won't need you tomorrow. One of the pool nurses is going to come in." I wasn't too thrilled about this. then she had the gll to ask me if I would be available to come in if anyone call out. I said no. I don't like going to bed thinking I have the day off and then being called at 6AM being told that someone called out. I like to know ahead of time.
I did end up getting the call this morning. At about 7:45AM.
The were not only one-but two-"no call, no shows" on my wing. One of which was the pool nurse that I was cancelled for.
I told the supervisor I had plans with my family and couldn't come in.
I did end up making plans and had a lovely day.
But I am pretty sure that next time I want to work an extra shift- they won't cancel me at the last minute. I know that they were trying to save $$$ because a pool nurse would cost less than paying me overtime ( time-and-a-half plus $2 hourly weekend differential) but at least they should know that I am am-at least- reliable. I NEVER call off-especially on a weekend. I may be tardy, but I will be there.
I guess that I just felt insulted that they replaced me with a brand new nurse that doesn't know anything about my patients. I give my patients excellent care. Perhaps I am too full of myself.

No comments: